The NCSLA Herman Gatling Award for Outstanding Science Education Leadership in North Carolina award goes to the person who has exemplified the high standards the late Herman Gatling of Durham County set in his job and in his life. This award recognizes the recipient as the outstanding science education leader in the state of North Carolina. Herman was given the first award posthumously in 1989; his wife, Emma, accepted his award on behalf of the family. This annual award is sponsored by the Carolina Biological Supply Company.
The recipient of the Gatling Award should be one who has gone above and beyond the requirements of the workplace and provided outstanding leadership and service to science education at the district, regional, and state levels and beyond. The award is presented at the time of the Fall NCSLA membership meeting, typically held in November.
Criteria for Nomination:
- Nominees should exemplify the descriptors of this award listed above.
- Nominees must be current members of NCSLA and must have been a member for at least one year prior to nomination.
- Nomination Packets must be complete and submitted on time.
The forms for the Nomination Packet are linked below. The Nomination Packet contains:
- nominee information;
- supervisor information, if applicable;
- nominator information; and
- names and contact information of those who will be writing Letters of Recommendation
- 3-5 letters highlighting specifics about how the nominee has been exemplary in providing outstanding science leadership in North Carolina.
- (Optional) Brief--no more than three pages--vita with specifics of the nominee’s work history, professional affiliations and service within those organizations, honors/awards, and other pertinent information that provides professional information about the nominee.
Submission of Nominations:
- All nominations are to be submitted electronically using this web site.
- The Nomination Form must be received no later than midnight October 15.
- The Letters of Support must be received no later than midnight October 15.