The North Carolina Leadership Association (NCSLA) is proud to lead an initiative to foster the development of science education leaders in North Carolina. The purpose of the NCSLA Science Leadership Fellows Program is to enhance professional competence and develop the leadership abilities necessary for science leaders to operate effectively in various leadership positions in science education. This newly revised program is supported by the North Carolina Science, Mathematics and Technology Education Center.
Apply to join the 2022-23 Cohort! Deadline for application is December 8, 2021.
Download a SLFP Brochure (pdf)
Download the presentation by SLFP alumni at the 2013 NSTA Conference in Charlotte (pdf)
2020-2022 Science Leadership Fellow Cohort
The NCSLA Science Leadership Fellows Program
• Fosters the development of science education leaders
• Enhances professional competence
• Develops leadership abilities
Science Leadership and Professional Development Activities
- Tailored to the needs of each cohort
- Instructional and assessment strategies
- Facilitating reform and change
- Building leadership capacity
- Conflict resolution and consensus building
- Networking and building partnerships
- Effective use of technology
- Processes for text/materials selection
- Grant writing
Who Can Become a Fellow?
- Classroom teachers and science lead teachers/department chairs
- LEA science supervisors
- LEA general supervisors whose duties include science
- Informal and out-of-school educators
- Other administrators
- Individuals in business and industry who work in science education
- Anyone who is in or may be in science leadership in NC
What Does the Program Involve?
- Cohorts of 12 to 15 members formed every two years
- Cohort meets four times per year including attendance at the NCSLA/
NCSTA professional development institutes held in November
How is the Program Funded?
- North Carolina Science, Mathematics and Technology Education
- Applicant’s LEA, university or business must commit to financially
support attendance at the NCSLA/NCSTA professional development
institutes in November
- NCSLA covers other expenses