The New Science Teacher Academy, sponsored by the Dow Chemical Company Foundation, the Amgen Foundation, Astellas Pharma US, Inc., and the American Honda Foundation collaborating with NSTA, is an initiative that supports second- and third-year middle or high school science teachers through mentoring and other professional development resources during the challenging initial teaching years. The one-year Academy helps promote quality science teaching, enhances teacher confidence and classroom excellence, and improve teacher content knowledge.
A scholarship award to this program provides rich benefits for Academy Fellows (participants):
Comprehensive NSTA membership and its benefits;
- A variety of web-based professional development activities including web seminars
- Unlimited use of resources including vetted web links for lesson plans, links to state and national standards, professional organizations, safety tips and more;
- e-Mentoring with an experienced teacher in the same science discipline and grade level;
- Facilitated online curriculum that focuses on science content and applicable classroom pedagogy;
- Access to a nationwide, online network of science educators and scientists that facilitate the exchange of information, ideas, and resources;
- Accommodations, coverage of airfare, food, and registration fees to attend the NSTA National Conference;
- Participation in specialized conference pathways and to participate in a Research Dissemination Conference or a Professional Development Institute.
Visit www.nsta.org/academy to register.